Friday, February 05, 2010

An Ode to Geniuses

I thought that I should compile a list of my passions and then try to think of some personalities from each of those fields that come to my mind instantaneously and I would cancel any appointment to have a lunch with them. These are not necessarily the personalities which I think are the best in their fields but these are the ones that come to my mind first whenever I think of their area of excellence. Ofcourse I am considering only alive personalities as I am not brave enough to have lunch with the dead ones. When I think about the things I am most passionate about, Music, Sports, Business and Literature would figure on the top of the list.
Music:
Jimmy Page : Sheer genius, just see him playing the guitar and you would understand what I mean. He started many bands but not to mention that Led Zeplin is the reason I adore him. Led Zeplin, one of the very few bands which did not split because of ego clashes. They split because members decided that they could not play without their late drummer. He could play Battle of Evermore on Mandolin without having touched the instrument before speaks of his talent. If I could play at even 10% of his skill level, I would be more than happy.
Eric Clapton: This guy can write, sing and play amazing guitar. All the rock stars started wearing different (absurd) looks just to support the counter culture revolution. Later these (different) looks itself became part of a culture. Then there was Eric wearing formal blazers in concerts when all others were too busy donning the "traditional" rock star looks!!! Last but not the least, this guy could beat George Harrison of legendary Beatles to take away his girl. A lot can be learned from this all rounder genius over a lunch. :P
A R Rahman: I think assimilating the fame is more difficult then getting it (though I have experienced neither :D) and this guy has done a remarkable job while being so level headed in a country where we just idolize any personality. A music prodigy who shot to fame at the age of 19 and still continues to produce probably the best music in India. The best thing I like about his music is his innovative fusion where he doesn't shy from mixing Mridhang with Electric Guitar.
Sports:
Roger Federer: Highest number of grandslams, highest number of single titles, soon to be highest number of weeks as world's best Tennis player but still see this guy. Not getting distracted and giving his best all the time. Flawless technique and rhythm makes his game a sheer pleasure to watch. Whenever he plays his backhand shot seems like he is doing a ballad in his own style on court. The remarkable demeanour and calmness makes him a real sportsmen.
Sachin: Sachin to Cricket is what Roger is to Tennis. As it is rightly said, if Cricket is a religion, Sachin is the God. The straight backfoot punch, cover drive or dancing down the track for a lofted six, his shots are executed to perfection. Despite of highest number of runs, centuries and thousands of other records (in both tests and ODIs), like Roger, Sachin epitomizes modesty.
Business:
Steve Jobs : This guy has built business empires, resurrected ailing industries and has dictated us what we want as consumers. There is something about this guy which makes him a business genius. In what is termed as the most successful second inning in the history of business, this guy made a come back to a company which he once founded and later was expelled. I think he is the only guy to have created such a massive impact on so many industries (Computers/software, Music, Movies and Electronics).
Literature
Surprisingly I have read a lot of contemporary and modern literature but when I speak the word Literature, only names of the dead ones pop up in my mind and as I mentioned earlier, I don't have lunches with dead ones. Call it my ignorance or lack of great authors in modern era, I cannot think of a single author who has had a major impact on me the way Camus, Beckett or Rand had. So I leave this space free for the time being.