Thursday, April 24, 2008

An ode to 1800 km

Today while looking at my bike's techometer, I realized that I have covered 1800 kms on my newly bought Pulsar 200 bike that too on the notriously famous Bangalore roads. These 1800 kms were not only wasted somewhere in the hurry to reach my destination rather these 1800 kms helped me understand the dynamics of Bangalore traffic system. Not to anyone's surprise, I realized that Bangalore traffic is a big hazard for the daily commuters but more than that it prepares you for the big battles in life. Another reason for writing this blog is the Unlock Bangalore campaign started by TOI. In this campaign bikers were villified to such an extent that one would think only bikers are responsible for the chaos on the roads. Hence I decided to list down the categories of vehicles which I feel are more responsible for the chaos when compared with Bikers. So here goes my list:
1) The proud winner in my list are the lady driver driving a pink scooty. Never ever try to compete with them, whether you have a pulsar 200 or a hayabhusha, it doesn't make any difference. You can never win.
2) Beware of the kids who drive bicycles and mopeds because these kids are really stupid. Don't think that I dont like kids, its just even elder people dont follow traffic rules, forget about these innocent kids to do so. After all they will learn from their elders.
3) Take extra care from the BMTC buses. Drivers of these buses are the same small kids who drove their mopeds/bicycles rashly in their childhood and then decided not to change. In case if it is a volvo it could be even worse.
4) If you see a car with yellow number plate, take extra precaution. Also the auto rikshaws, they drive as if the sole purpose of the road is to enable their movement and restrict others.
Another thought which has hovered in brain for so long is that, somewhere while complaining about the congested traffic system of Bangalore, I feel we forget to see the good work done by the traffic police people. I know I would be the only one to think this way but considering the resources they have at their disposal and the conditions in which they have to work, I feel they are doing a commendable job. Let us not forget that, when human rights people are busy shouting slogans to save people like Afzal guru, nobody gives a shit about these traffic police people, who have to inhale litres of hazardous gases everyday just to make this traffic run that too for a paltry amount of money they get at the end of the month.